Florence Partridge's lifetime commitment to the University of Guelph is reflected in a generous legacy gift shared by Library and the Florence G. Partridge Fund, which supports acquisitions to the Macdonald Stewart Art Centre.
Partridge was a significant presence on campus for nearly 40 years (1932-1971), most of this time presiding over OAC's Massey Library. Whenever her library budget had funds left at the end of the year, she purchased artwork for the college, which helped initiate the University's fine art collection. After the formation of the University of Guelph in 1964, Partridge oversaw the rapid growth and development of the Library and served as associate and finally chief librarian.
To commemorate her special gift, the Library has refurbished a large, multi-purpose room on the third floor of the McLaughlin Building that is used primarily for Learning Commons programs and special events. It was renamed the Florence Partridge Room in her honour on October 1st, 2005 and features works of art purchased from her fund.