McLaughlin Library is here to help you!
Welcome to the McLaughlin Library—your library at the University of Guelph. As the only library on campus, we’re here to help you. From research help, to study space, the library has support for almost every area of academia, at all levels of learning. Whether you’re writing your first university paper, or adding the final touches to your dissertation, our knowledgeable staff can assist you.
This is your library.
The Ask Us Desk
The Ask Us Desk is your first stop for discovering all of the resources, services, workshops, and events the library has to offer. It’s located on the first floor and is a place where you can ask any questions you may have about the library, your library account, printing and more. The Research Help Desk, and the CCS IT Help Desk are also located here.
Our Access Services team staffs the Ask Us Desk and is committed to providing seamless access to the resources you need. These individuals can loan books, help find information, recommend sources for research, and suggest research strategies to you.
Did you know that you can request items from other universities? If the library doesn’t have the book or article that you need, we can get it to you through our interlibrary loan service and document delivery service.
The Learning Commons
The Learning Commons brings together services that support student learning, writing, research, and technology. The Learning Commons plays a key role in helping students meet the academic challenges of university.
The Learning Commons offers in-person, or online appointments, where students can meet with a staff member, or a peer consultant. All appointments are free, and confidential. At these appointments, you can:
- Receive feedback on your writing at all stages of the writing process
- Learn strategies for organizing your ideas and structuring your thesis, paper, and chapters
- Gain advanced research skills
- Read textbooks and scholarly articles more effectively
- Practice your presentation and receive feedback
- Control procrastination and perfectionism, and complete your assignments, thesis, or program on time
- Learn to prepare for many different types of exams, including multiple choice and bell-ringer exams
In addition, the Learning Commons is home to Supported Learning Groups (SLGs), which are peer-lead study groups held on weekly basis to help students taking historically challenging courses.
Library Accessibility Services
Library Accessibility Services (LAS) is located on the first floor of the library and provides individuals with adaptive software, technology access and instruction, study space, and other services that assist students with reading, writing, note-taking, and studying. Library Accessibility Services is designed for students registered with Student Accessibility Services (SAS).
Services provided by LAS include:
- Quiet study space with carrels and tables for quiet study
- Alternate format material ordering
- Reference Help
- Computer lab with workstations on height-adjustable tables
- Book and article retrieval from the library’s stacks
- Specialized equipment including scanners, printers, colour CCTV, a desk-mounted illuminated magnifying class, and a Braille embosser
- Adaptive software and technology instruction for programs like Jaws, Kurzweil 1000 and 3000, WordQ, and Zoomtext Extra!
If you’re an incoming student, or if you’re a returning student the McLaughlin Library is yours to explore. This is your library.
If you have any questions about the library, or want further information about any of the library’s services, please contact us.
Curious about our service hours? Find all our hours on our website. Want to know what else is happening at the library? Keep up to date by visiting our Workshops & Events page or follow us on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook . There is something for everyone!