While access to our building remains limited, we can support you online. Learn about the phased reopening of library services.

Royal Alexandra Theatre

Dates: 
1920-1980

The Royal Alexandra Theatre, named after Edward VII's wife, began operation in Toronto, ON, in 1907. With a seating capacity of 1407, it began its life as a theatre owned by stock companies in WWI. From there, it became a Broadway tryout site until Ed Mirvish purchased the building in 1963. From there, the Royal Alexandra Theatre became the centre of Canadian Theatre, featuring many large shows. It was in operation 52 weeks of the year, which was a first for theatres in Canada.

When Mirvish's son, David Mirvish, took over as the executive producer in 1986, the house was opened up to companies like the Stratford Festival, Citadel Theatre,  and the Shaw Festival in order to bring their productions to Toronto. This theatre house also produced the first Indigenous play to receive commercial production, Tomson Highway's Dry Lips Oughta Move to Kapuskasing. Three years later, in 1989, the House hosted its first of many mega musicals, Les Misérables.

This Theatre House is still in operation today. 

The collection features programs and reviews from 1920-1980. 

Extent: 

24cm of textual materials. 

Type(s) Of Materials: 
Published Material
How To Access: 

XZ1 MS A020 to XZ1 MS A021

This collection is available for viewing on-site in Archival & Special Collections during our regular business hours.